Tuesday, November 17, 2015

After Two Years on Bill Pfund's Horns

After spending two years playing Bill Pfund's horns, I find them easier to play than the my Bach, Yamaha, and Blackburn horns which I used to play.  I've played Bill's horns in orchestral, big band, brass group, and solo settings.

The bottom line for me is that they are simply easier to play. Specifically, his horns seem to respond to less effort. It takes less to start the sound. Additionally, the upper range is easier. For example, I can get through the "Penny Lane" pic solo. This is interesting as I'm now over 50 years old. Another example is I recently played the first movement of the Neruda Concerto in Eb. Bill's Eb worked wonderfully. It seemed easier to play than the Blackburn Eb which I used for 20 plus years previously.

You may be thinking,"It's not all about ease of playing!" I agree. But when an instrument is easier for me to use, my musicality and expression seem to blossom more.

Food for thought...

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment