Thursday, July 5, 2018

After Four Years with Bill Pfund's Trumpets

Hi all,

I know how particular we are about our trumpets! I also know that some folks would never play a horn made in China. My response to that sentiment is that we truly are moving into a more global market. I encourage you to try one of Bill's horns. None of his Horns make it to US shores without Bill himself playing and testing it before being shipped from China. I have played Bill's horns for four years now, subbing with the Colorado Springs Philharmonic on a regular basis, playing in various brass groups, small church ensembles and solo work. I still love Bill's horns. For 26 years in the USAF Band program and 20 of those years in the USAF Academy Band, I used Yamaha, Bach, and Blackburn trumpets. Although I primarily played in Stellar Brass (quintet plus percussion) and our concert band, I did sub with the Falconaires Jazz Band from time to time.

Now in my 50's and past my USAF playing responsibilities, I find I want a horn that is easier to play affording a flexibility to make it easier to adjust to various playing situations. One concrete example is that I have now performed the "Penny Lane" pic solo numerous times with the Colorado Brass Arts Group with Bill's pic and his 7 pic mouthpiece (cornet shank). With the pic set-up I had while in the AF, I couldn't quite get that out on my Yamaha Custom 3 valve with a Warburton 4m cup and a 7* back bore. I realize that is a fairly big mouthpiece for a pic set-up--I was a slow learner and to be honest, I was striving for a nice big sound. As time moved on, I began to think it wiser to play equipment that makes playing easier. You will still sound like you! Your sound concept will overcome equipment for the most part.

One thing is for sure, today, there are many fine horns being made. Try them all. You might be surprised. My plan is to purchase a Pfund C cornet at some point. I own a Bb, C, Eb, picc, Bb cornet and his flugelhorn. Bill has finished his design for Bb and C Rotary Trumpets and has wooden cup mouthpieces available. Pickett makes Bill's mouthpieces. Bill designed his mouthpieces to match his horn design concept. Bill Pfund's site...www.billpfund.com.

Still loving the trumpet!
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment